Scalloped Potatoes with Andouille

I miss my camera, guys. I can't figure out what state I left it in while I was on vacation, but I know it's definitely not in Texas. Ah well. I'll get another one at some point (R has a camera, but no reader and I have no software on my computer. So there we have it). Instead, I'm just loving on the andouille. Mainly because I had a bunch and usually when I buy it I (as y'all may remember) use it for 2-4 meals. Today is another one. Okay, maybe you wouldn't call this a meal. But I will. It's a meal. Next to some mashed potatoes (holy potato day!), it's filling and a complete meal. If you want to vegetarianize this, just leave out the sausage. Hope you enjoy!

2 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin (seems like everyone gives you measurements when they tell you how to make them, but those're standards I just can't live up to so I'll just say "very thin")
2 tablespoons toum (alternately, two minced cloves of garlic)
1-ish teaspoon salt
1/4-ish teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups cream
1 1/2 cups grated swiss cheese
3.5 ounces andouille sausage, diced
1 small shallot, minced
butter or oil

Heat oven to 400F. Butter or oil a 6x9" casserole dish. Combine toum, cream, nutmeg and salt in a small saucepan and heat. Combine sausage and shallots and divide them into thirds. Make a single, overlapping layer of potato slices. Sprinkle with a third of your sausage mixture and a quarter cup of cheese. Top with a couple tablespoons of your heated cream mixture. Repeat this two more times, except the last time, add the remainder of the cheese to the top. Pour the cream mixture over the top, cover and bake 1 hour. Serves 2-4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil