Andouille and Black Bean Stew

This is more of a simmered dish than a stew per se, but I just wasn't really certain how I should name the dish. It's a simple, rustic affair that's easy to make and doesn't take very long. It's got lots of flavour and can easily be modified to fit any sort of flavour profile you might be looking for. As it stands now, it has a vaguely Cajun "feel" to it, although it's not Cajun cuisine by any stretch of the imagination. It also turns out that I have, in fact, lost my camera. I hope I can find it, since I can't afford to go buy a new one right now. Bills and food, and all that. So, still no pictures. I know y'all have very creative imaginations though, so I'm sure you can imagine what each one looks like. Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy this dish!

2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
salt
juice of half a lemon
1 can (or 1 1/2 - 2 cups freshly cooked) black beans
7 ounces andouille (this is usually about a half a package)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes

1 cup rice
2 cups water
salt

Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet, and add carrots, shallots and celery. Fry for 2 minutes, then add the lemon juice and season with salt, then cook another 5 minutes. Add sausage and fry for 5 minutes more, than add a bit more salt, the black beans and the tomatoes. Simmer, stirring periodically, for 30 minutes.

Put the scraps from the shallots, celery and carrots, along with the rind of the half lemon, in two cups of water. Simmer 30 minutes then strain out all the vegetable scraps. Add salt and rice, bring to a boil and let boil for one minute. Cover and reduce heat and let cook 10 more minutes. Let sit, covered, 15 minutes. Top rice with stew and serve. Serves 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil