Black Eyed Peas with Bacon

So it turns out my camera ISN'T in another state. It was in my gym bag. How it got in there, I have no idea. But it does tell all of us just how long it's been since I was last at the gym. Not that any of that helps us today, since I made this food and ate it all before I knew that I wanted to give you pictures. Well, not that I wanted to. But that I could. And such. Y'all know what I'm saying.

So anyway. Black eyed peas. Evidently, I had about 5 pounds of them. Huh. Didn't know. I unearthed this little treasure trove when the last bin of non-mushrooms got emptied out. Well... do y'all remember me buying so many? Because I really don't. But I like them, so it works out in the end. This is how we've been making them. It's quite nice and requires nearly no effort from me (so little effort that I threw this together after getting home from work at almost 3am). For all my vegan and vegetarian friends, just use a bit of oil in place of the bacon and it's perfect for you. Hope you enjoy!

1 can cooked black eyed peas (I'm cooking mine from dry, but the amounts are about the same)
3 pieces bacon, cut up
1/2 small red onion, sliced
2-3 tablespoons pickle juice (or other brine, or even lemon juice)
1 tablespoon harissa
1 tablespoon or so tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
pinch garlic powder

1 3/4 cups water
salt
1 cup rice

Cook your rice. Y'all know how to do this, I'm sure, without me telling you yet again. Put the bacon in a frying pan and fry it. When it's nearly done (I like mine to be a bit soft so it's almost like those long simmered bean yummies with the bacon and salt pork in them), add in the onions, the harissa, garlic, tomato paste, salt, pepper and pickle juice and cook for a few minutes more. Add in the beans and cook a bit more, then add in your rice when it's done and toss to combine well. Serves 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil