Toum (Garlic Sauce)

Here's another dip/sauce for you. I love this one at least as much as the last, though for completely different reasons. This sauce is perfect for dipping kebabs in (the main reason I'm giving it to you now), and also for kofta and all sorts of other yumminess. Sometimes I use it just for dipping bread in, or to slather on crusty bread with parsley to make garlic bread. It's an awesome, multipurpose dip. It's also really, really easy to make. Hope you enjoy!

1 head garlic
1-2 teaspoons (okay, I actually use a little more) lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (again, I actually use more)
1/4+ vegetable oil

Peel the garlic and put it in a small food processor, with the salt. Pulse until it's paste-like, but still slightly granular. Add in the lemon and pulse again. Then add small amounts of oil and pulse as though you were making mayonnaise (some people do add egg, or potato, but I prefer it made without), until it's light and has the level of garlic strength in its flavour that you like. Makes 1/2+ cups, plenty to serve four in a meal.

Comments

  1. Garlic Sauce? If I had a way of blending anything right now, I'd be all over this recipe. I'd even brave the crazy depths of the public market for bags of cheap garlic.

    But instead it's gonna have to wait.

    Still, Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... Potato? It doesnt sound like the kind of thing one COULD add potato to. Cooked? Raw? So intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you had a good knife, a whisk and a good amount of time, you could still make it, j. It's just take longer. I think if I didn't have a way of blending things I'd probably still make it, since it's so versatile.

    Dea-chan: I know, right? Potato is bizarre to me too, but I think it just helps with the thickening. As far a I know it's generally going to be boiled potato.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil