The Oft Forgotten Potato Salad

I always forget how much I like potato salad, even though it is really cheap and very simple to prepare. What I like the most about it is that potato salad provides an excellent opportunity for cleaning out the fridge*, since just about every variation of it tastes good.

So here is today's potato salad:

2 pounds red potatoes
salt to taste

2/3 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 hard boiled egg**, chopped
1/2 cup sliced scallion
1/2 cup chopped dill pickle
1/4 teaspoon each: onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, oregano, dill, coriander seed, celery salt, paprika
1 teaspoon each: lemon pepper, seasoned salt
2-4 tablespoons mayonnaise (I like mine dry; you might not)
1 teaspoon each: yellow mustard, creole mustard

Put the potatoes in a pot with the salt. Cover with water, simmer for 40 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool, then cut into chunks. I leave the skins on because I am lazy and because I like the taste and because a touch of extra nutrition never hurt anyone. Put the potatoes in a bowl, and add the rest of the stuff. Mix together, chill, eat.

*The hard boiled egg was left over from some snacking eggs I made last week; the bell pepper was actually the top and bottom of a bell pepper, since the rest went into a stir fry; the scallions looked like it was drying out a week ago, so I cut them up and stuck them in a container and they were still good when I opened it, otherwise I'd've used the half of a regular onion which was also in the fridge; the pickle was the last one in the jar and I had to add some cut up pickle chips to it. My fridge is much cleaner now. I almost added some carrot, too, but then I realised I just bought those and am still likely to use them in a "normal" recipe.
**If you don't know how to make a hard boiled egg, there are two solutions:
1) Buy these. Or another brand that makes them.
2) Put your eggs in a pot. Throw a little salt in. Add water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let them simmer for one minute. Turn off the heat, cover, and ignore for about 10 minutes. Drain and chill in ice water.

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:40 AM

    I still can't believe there are people who don't know how to boil eggs, although I do believe that there are people too lazy to peel them.

    So remember those beans I mentioned last night? They didn't take 12 hours - they were done by the time I got up at 5:30 this morning. They were so good I couldn't wait till lunch, so I put some in my spinach omelette.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil