Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Oft Forgotten Potato Salad

I always forget how much I like potato salad, even though it is really cheap and very simple to prepare. What I like the most about it is that potato salad provides an excellent opportunity for cleaning out the fridge*, since just about every variation of it tastes good.

So here is today's potato salad:

2 pounds red potatoes
salt to taste

2/3 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 hard boiled egg**, chopped
1/2 cup sliced scallion
1/2 cup chopped dill pickle
1/4 teaspoon each: onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, oregano, dill, coriander seed, celery salt, paprika
1 teaspoon each: lemon pepper, seasoned salt
2-4 tablespoons mayonnaise (I like mine dry; you might not)
1 teaspoon each: yellow mustard, creole mustard

Put the potatoes in a pot with the salt. Cover with water, simmer for 40 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool, then cut into chunks. I leave the skins on because I am lazy and because I like the taste and because a touch of extra nutrition never hurt anyone. Put the potatoes in a bowl, and add the rest of the stuff. Mix together, chill, eat.

*The hard boiled egg was left over from some snacking eggs I made last week; the bell pepper was actually the top and bottom of a bell pepper, since the rest went into a stir fry; the scallions looked like it was drying out a week ago, so I cut them up and stuck them in a container and they were still good when I opened it, otherwise I'd've used the half of a regular onion which was also in the fridge; the pickle was the last one in the jar and I had to add some cut up pickle chips to it. My fridge is much cleaner now. I almost added some carrot, too, but then I realised I just bought those and am still likely to use them in a "normal" recipe.
**If you don't know how to make a hard boiled egg, there are two solutions:
1) Buy these. Or another brand that makes them.
2) Put your eggs in a pot. Throw a little salt in. Add water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let them simmer for one minute. Turn off the heat, cover, and ignore for about 10 minutes. Drain and chill in ice water.

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe there are people who don't know how to boil eggs, although I do believe that there are people too lazy to peel them.

    So remember those beans I mentioned last night? They didn't take 12 hours - they were done by the time I got up at 5:30 this morning. They were so good I couldn't wait till lunch, so I put some in my spinach omelette.

    ReplyDelete