Mixed Fruit Turnovers (Hand Pies)

I have a package of puff pastry, and I have too much frozen fruit. Unexpectedly, I wound up with 2 extra bags of frozen fruit and since they're mixed fruit instead of single fruits (these bags have mango, peach, pineapple, grapes and strawberries; their intended use, according to the bag, is smoothies) I was kind of at a loss for what to do with them. Enter puff pastry. I figured I could use one bag of fruit and 2 sheets of pastry to make a billion little hand pies. Perhaps I'll make a regular pie with the other bag. I have no idea, but I suspect it'll be a while before it comes up.

By using puff pastry, we get the flaky, wonderful crust without doing any actual work. The process is pretty simple, which is important to me in all I cook right now because I'm reading about 50 pages a day for the class I'm taking right now. Either way, it's not a bad deal to open a couple packages and wind up with a lovely pastry as the result. I'm eating one then bringing the rest to class with me tomorrow. Hope you enjoy!

2 sheets puff pastry

2 cups thawed (or fresh) mixed fruit (or just one fruit; you do what you like)
1/2 tablespoon corn starch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar

1 egg
1 tablespoon water

Mix the second group of ingredients together. Roll one sheet of the pastry out into a 12"x12" square, then cut into 6 pieces. Put a spoonful of fruit on the middle of one half of each square. Make sure you leave about a half inch of "border" around the edges of the pastry. Whisk together the egg and water, then dab a little around the edges of the pastry. Fold the pastry over itself to make little rectangles then transfer to a sheet pan. Brush the remaining egg wash onto each pie. Cut a couple slits in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape. Repeat process with second sheet of pastry (I actually do the second sheet once the first one goes in the oven. Refrigerate while you heat your oven to 400F. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown and puffed nicely (mine took nearly 25 minutes, because my oven has been really wonky lately; but yours should NOT take that long), then cool on a rack. You can eat them warm or room temperature. Makes 12 pies.

My picture looks a little funny, but pay no mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil