Shepherd's Salad

Ok, so in fairness, this is not exactly a normal shepherd's salad. I added some stuff. But it's how I like them best, so there you have it.

1 cucumber, peeled, and cut into big chunks (I leave the seeds in; you do what you like)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into big chunks
2 scallions, cut into 1/2" long pieces
1 medium tomato, cut into big chunks
3 stalks celery, cut into 1" long pieces
2 teaspoons dried oregano (if you have fresh, use it. I have some I dried from my old garden, and I am scared to plant it here since it truly is a weed), crushed
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, torn up
1/4 cup fresh mint, torn up
large handful kalamata olives, pitted*
2-3 ounces fresh feta, crumbled (in this instance, I have a French feta)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (optional)
sumac for sprinkling on individual portions (meaning I didn't put it in the whole salad)

Combine everything and stir. Chill, or not, and eat! Serves 1-2.

*I buy my kalamatas still with pits in them. If you do the same, you can either not pit them, or you can put them on a cutting board, bash them with the flat of your knife (as though you were peeling garlic) and pop the pits right out. Kalamatas are an ideal olive for this, because they tend to expel their pits rather easily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil