Brussels Sprouts with Pasta

As you can see, I'm really stalling on my calculus. Today, I snacked on cheese, salami and lupini beans. P texted me on his way home from school to see if I wanted him to pick up some fast food before he arrived. I said I'd start the oven instead. I wanted something that required a minimum of effort from me, because although I'm poking along with my calculus, I am still trying to get it done. I didn't want to have to give up too much time to the kitchen.

12 brussels sprouts, cleaned, washed and cut in half
1 cup (or so) celery, cut into 1" pieces
1 cup (or so) baby carrots, cut in half (or just cut normal carrots into chunks)
6 bulb onions, de-greened and cut in half (the vidalia-style one)
6 cloves of garlic, cut in half or into large bits
salt and pepper to taste
healthy sprinkle of sumac
1 tablespoon citrus vinegar*
1 tablespoon each: vegetable oil, olive oil

8 ounces campanelle
2 quarts water
large pinch salt

3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Heat oven to 425F. Spread vegetables over a baking sheet, drizzle with vinegar and oils, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and sumac. Roast until soft, about 15 minutes (by cutting them up like this, they take hardly any time at all to roast). Turn off the oven and boil your salted water. Cook the campanelle for 7 minutes. Remove veggies from the oven, then drain pasta. Put pasta back in the pot it was cooked in and add butter and lemon juice. Stir until butter is melted, then stir in veggies. Serves 2.

*I make my own citrus vinegars (in this instance, I used a satsuma-basil vinegar), though you can buy them as well. This site has recipes for different home-infused vinegars. I'll try to remember to write some stuff about infusing vinegar, as it makes for a cheap and delightful flavouring to many, many foods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil