Mujadarra

I had no idea how much homework I was really going to have this semester. It's a lot more than I thought. And when I say, "A lot," what I really mean is, "Well, I've been at school since 8am, and I hope I'm done with all my homework before school tomorrow." But I'm having fun.

In light of all the math I'm doing this evening, I decided to go with a really low-effort dinner (in addition to the frozen burritos P and I snacked on while I was finishing part 2 of 7 of homework sections). Enter mujadarra. Mujadarra is a Lebanese dish - lentils and rice. It's delicious. And doesn't require a lot from me. Even better!

2 medium onions (I used one regular yellow and one Vadalia)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
.5 cup lentils
.5 cup rice
1.75 cup water
1 tablespoon each: chopped fresh mint, chopped fresh parsley
1 lemon cut in half

Dice an onion. Slice the other onion into rings. Heat a pan and add half the olive oil. Add and fry the diced onion with a little salt (~.5t) until you can smell hash browns, then set aside. Put the lentils and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat. Simmer the lentils for 15 minutes, then add the rice, some salt (~1t) and cooked onions. Cover again and cook another 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it all hang out for 10 or so minutes. While it's sitting, reheat the pan, add the rest of the oil and fry up those beautiful little onion rings (with the rest of the salt, of course). Put the food in dishes and top each with half the onion rings, then half the mint and parsley. Add a lemon half to the dish to squeeze over the food. Serves 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil