Pomegranate and Orange Jellies

I love gelatin. I almost never work with it, because frankly, I'm just not that type of creative. But whenever I see a recipe that looks delicious, easy and fast that still has gelatin, I'm inclined to jump all over it. So when I saw this recipe over at A Slice of Cherry Pie, I got excited. However, because gelatins vary in strength from manufacturer to manufacturer, type to type and country to country, I plied Julia with a billion questions so I could work out how to make it, before I got started. She very kindly took the time to check out her own gelatin supply so we could work it out. If you're in the UK, you'll want to use the Platinum gelatin that has a strength of ~250. Here in the States, Knox is just fine.

I didn't have any passion fruit in the house, and to be honest, I am too lazy to wander off to the store, so I changed the passion fruit in her recipe to orange juice (since I had that). I also used slightly more gelatin than the recipe calls for, because I couldn't figure out where my small weights scale is (and thus I simply rounded up). To juice the pomegranate (I had a massive one lurking in the fridge I'd been dreading dealing with but excited to taste), I used my electric citrus juicer. I find these work tremendously well in juicing pomegranates. If you're even less inclined toward this sort of work than I am, picking up a bottle of POM pomegranate juice would probably work well also.

These are a very soft-setting jelly, so you if you want something more Jell-O or Knox Blox firm, you'll need to add more gelatin to the mix.

These are beautiful, and well worth the wait. I hope you enjoy!

200 mL pomegranate juice (strained)
100 mL orange juice (strained)
200 mL water
4 leaves (1.66 grams each) or 6.64 grams powdered Knox or round up to 1 7-gram packet gelatin
1/4 cup water
80 grams caster sugar (admittedly, I weighed out regular sugar instead of blending some caster)

Bloom gelatin in 1/4 cup of water, or according to package directions. Heat juices, 200 mL water and sugar to a strong simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add bloomed gelatin and stir to combine. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then pour into molds or individual ramekins. Chill overnight. Makes 4 (or several more really tiny ones).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil