Coconut Squash

Today, I was bitten by a nasty sweet tooth. Although I have more candy in the house than I particularly care to admit to, I mainly wanted to eat something that was sweet but still had some nutritive value while I watched a Primeval marathon. I remembered I had an acorn squash that needed to be used (actually, I have more than just this one squash I need to use, but baby steps) and I thought it'd do the ticket. It's prepared similarly to "the usual method" of loading up the cavity with brown sugar and such, but coconut is added for a little diversity in both taste and texture. I serve it still in the shell and just scrape the insides out with my fork, as though it were a baked potato. Less work than the nightmare of peeling acorn squash with all their little ridges. I also let this cook in both a heating and cooling oven, to conserve some energy. Hope you enjoy!

1 small acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
2 tablespoons butter, divided
3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1-2 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes, divided (you can use unsweetened too, and it'd probably be better, but this is what I had)

Put half of the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and coconut flakes in each half of the squash. Stuff them in a small baking dish and put in the oven. Turn the oven on to 350F, then set the timer for 30-40 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave in the oven another half hour or so. Serves 1-2.

(I forgot to take a picture until I already began to eat - sorry!)

Comments

  1. This definitely looks worth a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary! Not the prettiest, but wonderful flavour and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, this looks really delicious. But I didn't come here only to take a peek at the food, how are you Allie? long time no see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thanks DJ! It's really simple to make, which has kind of been my focus recently.

    I've been doing pretty well though. Went out of town a couple times during my semester break, and now I'm knee deep in homework every night. A shocking amount, really.

    How've you been doing?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil