Cucumber, Spelt and Feta Salad

Sometimes I just really get in the mood to eat some grains. I think later this week I'll be making Dave's Mom's Beef Barley Soup too, because I'm all about grains right now. Don't ask me why - I have no control of the cravings!

Anyway, I felt like spelt would be a great addition to a cucumber salad. And of course, cheese makes everything better, right? :) This is pretty easy to make, and is a refreshing addition to any meal. Hope you enjoy!

1/4 cup spelt
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 omani (dried lime)

1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
3/4 cup roughly chopped celery leaves
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 red onion, sliced paper thin
1/4 pound feta, crumbled

Dressing:

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon each: oregano, aleppo pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
3 allspice berries, ground
1/4 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup olive oil

Combine salt, omani, spelt and water. Simmer for an hour, or until spelt is soft. Drain and cool, then combine with the entire second group of ingredients. To make the dressing, whisk together all but the olive oil. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil. Combine salad and dressing well. Chill, then serve. Serves 4.

Comments

  1. I like the healthy blend! That would be a great lunch!! Take care, Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chef Chuck! I to thought it'd be perfect for lunch, and enjoyed the leftovers that way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil