Wild Rice Stir Fry

And, we're on to the last of the inordinate amounts of wild rice I made. Just in case you're keeping count, that makes for 3 meals and 1 bread made with the same item. 3 of those, of course, being ways to use up leftover foods you've prepared. This time it was a quick stir fry. Well, mostly fry - there was a bit of poach happening too. Anyway, it was good. Once I'm allowed to buy rice again, I will probably make more frequent use of wild rice in my kitchen. I'm not entirely sure why I forgot how much I love it. If you wanted to meat it up (which I was too lazy today to do), tossing some chicken or beef in, or even just a couple eggs into the mix would also be quite good. Hope you enjoy!

1 tablespoon each: sesame oil, olive oil
1/2 - 1 teaspoon each: sriracha, hoisin sauce
salt and pepper as needed
1/4 cup white wine (I had some leftover, so....)
1/2 large onion, sliced
2 stalks chopped celery
1 small zucchini, cut into planks
1 small eggplant (I used the long skinny type), cut into planks
1 cup shredded cabbage
2 cups wild rice
1/2 avocado, cut into cubes (optional)
soy sauce as needed

Heat oils over medium-high heat with sriracha (or other hot sauce). Add celery and onion (plus seasonings), then cook for about 7 minutes. Add zucchini, eggplant (plus seasonings) and hoisin, and cook another 3 minutes. Add wine and cook down for 5 minutes. Then add cabbage and rice (and some soy if you want it), and cook another 5 minutes or until the rice is as crispy as you prefer. Top with avocado, if using (in fairness, this probably doesn't really go with it. But in my mind, everything goes with avocado so there we have it). Serves 2-4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil