Egg White and Wild Rice Scramble

I had quite a bit of wild rice leftover after the chicken dinner, as you might have expected. One cup of it I set aside to make one of Peter Reinhart's breads (onion and wild rice), and the rest I'm eating by itself, or putting into stuff here and there. This is one of those here and theres. I also had those egg whites left over from the cranberry curd, and of course I didn't want those to go bad either. I always lie to myself and say I'll make meringues, but I don't think I've actually cooked those since I was a teenager. It's possible I'm wrong but I doubt it. AND I had some leftover tomato from sandwich eating.

Thus, this is a leftovers gone wild meal. I think sometimes for me at least, when I'm looking at preventing food waste I think of it more in terms of just eating leftovers, rather than in terms of making leftovers into new creations. I want to get away from that a little bit, since people always talk about using leftovers creatively but no one ever talks about how to do it. Now we have one extra way to do it then before. This is not a pretty meal though, so please don't be sad when you see the picture. Hope you enjoy!

1 tiny onion (maybe 1/2 cup's worth once sliced), sliced into half moons (or whatever. I just like half moons)
4 egg whites (or 4 eggs, if you don't have just whites laying about)
1/2 cup cooked wild rice (or other rice)
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1/2 chopped avocado
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon za'atar

Cut up the onion and melt the butter over low heat in a pan. Once the butter is melted, add the onions, plus a pinch of salt and pepper, and let them hang out until they're nice and browned with that amazing smell onions get. Whisk some salt, pepper and the za'atar into your eggs/egg whites and add, along with the rice, to the pan of onions. Scramble (for me that mostly means stir a bit until it's cooked, but I've seen people take scrambling much more seriously. You do it your way). Add in the tomato and avocado and keep on the heat just until warm. Serves 1-2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil