Saffron and Fig Rice Pudding

Okay, so j. requested a rice pudding, and I figure that since she's off her budget right now, it'd be the perfect time to throw a little saffron into the mix. Also, I had some dried figs laying about that I really did need to use up, so here they are (and look at that - me using stuff in storage!). Sorry for my lateness in posting this; I've had a couchsurfer staying with me and my need to be an almost decent hostess has gotten in the way of me posting. Hope you enjoy!


1 cup rice
1 3/4 cups water
pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1/8 teaspoon each: cardamom pods; pink peppercorns

1 1/2 cups milk
1/8 cup vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon rose water (don't use too much of this or it comes out tasting like flowers, and no one likes that sort of thing)
1/8 cup almonds, chopped
8 dried figs, cut into quarters

Boil the water and pour it onto the saffron. Let stand an hour or so. Then combine it with the remainder of the first group of ingredients, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 15 minutes. Add second group of ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring periodically. Serves 2-4.

Comments

  1. Oh wow, I am once again in total awe of your cave of magic goodies. Now I just have to figure out how to magic up some of those ingredients myself.

    That looks super yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I really do have a ridiculous variety in the cave, don't I?

    I think there're a couple other rice pudding recipes somewhere in here (I'll check the search feature in a moment) that don't use as many exotic/expensive ingredients. I'm pretty sure there's one w/ almond milk instead of regular milk, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil