Blueberry Pancakes and Vanilla Eggs

Ok, so I would like to apologise in advance because once again, I completely and totally forgot to take a picture. Woops. I was listening to my tummy grumble, which outweighed the thought of picture-taking.

So, my mother has this fabulous recipe for pancakes that dates back to 1848 or 1852. I can't remember. I left the recipe the same, but I just added blueberries to it. I think next time I make them I will also add in some lemon. Blueberries and lemon are like, nature's perfect couple.

Blueberry Pancakes

2 eggs
1.25 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
.5 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups flour
.25 cup melted butter
1.25 cup blueberries (I used frozen; you use what you like)

Whisk eggs. Add milk and whisk. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries (I really thought about using raspberries instead. Perhaps next time). Melt some butter, lard, or some other fat in a pan over medium heat. Add a big ladle-full of pancake batter. When you see the surface of the batter bubbling up, flip the pancake over. Cook another minute, remove. Rinse and repeat. Makes about 4 big pancakes. Thanks, Mom.

Vanilla Scrambled Eggs

4 eggs
1 tablespoon milk (ok... in this instance, I'd run out of milk so I used a teaspoon of cider vinegar)
1 teaspoon vanilla
.5 teaspoon salt
couple passes over the grater of nutmeg (just use a little)

Melt some lard or other fat in a small pan over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture while the last pancake is cooking. Stir until cooked. Eat with pancakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil