Lo Mein

This is not really a traditional lo mein. This was more of an attempt to use some corn noodles I had in a pseudo-"appropriate" way. Also, I was trying to use up some more of the left-over chicken. It worked out well in the end, though I think I actually prefer a more standard pasta for this preparation. Once again, I forgot to take a picture. I was famished and more-than-a-little cranky (because I was hungry, and also because I've had a headache for a week and a half now, and because I'm in the middle of writing a semester paper that is already looking like it's going to be utter crap), so I just ate it up. I realised I'd spaced the photo when I went back to do the dishes.

Either way, I hope you like it.

1 onion, sliced into rounds
6 small ichiban eggplants (2-3 large), diced
1 sliced carrot
2 stalks diced celery
1 small daikon, cut into 1" strips
1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1 yellow squash, sliced into half moons
8 cloves roughly chopped garlic
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 large green bulb onion, thickly sliced
1 cup reconstituted shitake slices (dried)
2 cups cut up cooked chicken
3 cups chicken broth, or a pot of boiling water
1/2 package corn noodles, or 8 ounces long pasta


1-2 tablespoons chicken collagen
2 tablespoons cane vinegar or rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sriracha
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon rice cooking wine
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sesame oil (plus more if you're not using collagen)

Heat oil and collagen in a pan. Add in onions, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until golden. Then add eggplant, sriracha and carrot. When cooked a bit, add ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon. After a little while, throw in the squashes, mushrooms and vinegar. Bring broth or water to a boil. Cook pasta, then drain and rinse with cool water (don't rinse in the case of normal pasta). Add pasta, green onion, chicken, wine, salt, pepper and celery to the pan and heat through, until the celery is cooked but still crunchy. Serves 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil