A Tale of Two Seasons (Simmered Beef, Roasted Sprouts, Apples and Squash and Sauteed Asparagus)

I realise it's spring, but I have some squash I hadn't cooked yet, so I am mixing my winter and spring in the same way the Texas weather likes to keep us all on our toes. Sometimes I crave stuff that really has little connectedness, and today is one of those days.

So today, you actually get a full meal from me. I wanted a little meat, but I couldn't see a reason why P and I needed a half pound each, so I just used half of the meat I bought and froze the rest. If you guys get tired of seeing Brussels sprouts from me (I can't remember how many variations of the same roasted cabbage I've posted and I am too lazy to check), say so. They're one of my favourite veggies, so I make them as often as possible. I had two adult-fist-sized acorn squashes (there's still a butternut lurking I need to address), so I used these but they weighed around a pound or so, and P and I can never resist fat sticks of asparagus. It's a mish-mash meal, but everything's got orange in it. Oh, except the cucumber I wanted to use up so I did them the same as yesterday.

Simmered Beef

1/2 pound beef stew meat (or other cheap cut), sliced into 1/4" strips
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dill weed
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/8 teaspoon fenugreek
1 teaspoon orange juice

Marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Simmer over low heat until meat is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Serves 2.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

8 large Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon orange peel
1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine all in an oven proof pan and roast 40 minutes. Serves 2.




Roasted Squash and Apple

1 pound acorn squash, deseeded, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1" chunks
1 tablespoon orange juice
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
dash freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine the above, then roast for 40-45 minutes, or until squash is soft. Serves 2-4.

Sautéed Asparagus

1 bunch large asparagus
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon orange juice

Heat pan, then add oils, seasoned salt and orange juice. Let heat, then add asparagus. Sauté until tender. Serves 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil