Spinach and Tomato Soup

This is a little weird. I took out some spinach from the freezer a while back, and then I got distracted by a total lack of desire to cook, and the spinach hung out in the fridge for ages. Miraculously, without going bad. I thought I was going to do something completely different with the spinach, but ended up making this soup to serve with the salad from yesterday. New comfort food, perhaps. This is now kind of my soup version of V8 for while I'm tired and eating a lot of chick pea salad.

1 10-ounce package spinach, thawed
3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped carrot
1/8 cup celery leaves
1/8 cup sliced celery
1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
that same 14-ounce can, of water or stock (I used water)
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 tablespoon salt (you can put pepper in here, but Ross isn't a huge fan so I try to limit my pepper use these days)
1/4 cup bulghur (optional)

Put everything but the bulghur in a pot and simmer until the carrots are very soft. Blend (or not, if you want it chunky). Add the bulghur once it's blended (if you're using it) and cook another 10 minutes. Drizzle individual servings with a touch of olive oil and a sprinkle of mint. Serves 2 for normal portions or 4 for small portions.

I'll warn you guys this soup looks a lot like mud, but it doesn't taste at all like mud (and now I have Primus stuck in my head)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil