Spanish Rice

It's been a while since I last had Spanish rice, but a friend of mine gifted me her lovely guacamole and her salsas, both roja and verde. She has a bakery, and my dream for her [because, y'know... it's all about me ;)] is to start putting her salsas in there too.  She made my wedding cake and then had to force me to share my piece during the cake cutting (I just did not understand why we couldn't both have a piece). Anyway, since Starr has given me these wonderful foods, I've been eating foods today that honor them and how yummy they are.

For breakfast we had leftover rice, plus chips and guac. But for lunch (and likely, dinner, too), we decided to make a pot of Spanish rice, since we had some appaloosa beans cooked we could stir into them on our plates, then top with cheese, salsa and guac. So that's what we did. I wouldn't call this a traditional Spanish rice by any stretch of the imagination, but it fit in with the flavours I wanted to taste in my mouth. You could serve this with whatever you want, pretty much. Hope you enjoy!

1 cup rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
sprinkle/pinch paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons marjoram or Mexican oregano (I used marjoram because it was closer to my hand)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used Konriko brand, but they're all tasty)
3/4 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder
1 can of Ro-tel tomatoes (or their generic equivalent, which is what I actually used), drained and juices reserved
juices from the canned tomatoes, plus water to make a total of 1 3/4 cups liquid in the mixture

Combine all the ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 5-ish minutes. Cover tightly with a lid and turn heat to a very low setting. Let cook 10 minutes. Turn off the heat completely and let the rice sit, undisturbed, for 15 minutes. Uncover and fluff. Serves 2-4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil