Poor Man's Clams and Red Sauce

I've posted another clams and red sauce recipe before, but this time I made it differently and I definitely liked this version better, so I thought I'd share. The one I made today was really spicy, so if you're intolerant to chile peppers, DEFINITELY use less. This is also a pantry meal, as I have been avoiding the market lately and so it's comprised of stuff I generally keep in the pantry. Hope you enjoy!

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 can minced clams, juice and clams
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Put oil, salt, pepper and onion in a 2-quart saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Cook ten minutes. Add garlic and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and cook another 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, the juice from your can of clams, parsley, remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and red pepper flakes and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring periodically (every 5-10 minutes). Add clams and stir, cook 3-4 minutes (it should be pink bordering on red, with kind of a milky appearance. Serve over pasta. Serves 2-4.

Laziness has precluded me from taking a picture, but if Ross takes one later I'll edit the post with it.

Comments

  1. Allie, you're such a goof. Why do you avoid the fresh produce in the HEIGHT of produce season? The concept of having to use up pantry stuff (which mostly requires stove top cooking for me) when it's so hot out... man, that sounds horrible! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, DC, you are way too smart (and know me too well) to not notice something weird is going on for me to cause me to ignore the season with the most fresh, seasonal produce. I'm pregnant, and because I had to change my heart medication to a substantially less effective one (but which is safe for the fetus), I'm not feeling well most of the time. So I've pretty much been avoiding leaving the house so I could conserve energy (and money - the majority of my income is going to copays right now, since I'm only working a couple hours a week) until the semester starts. I was going to wait until after I did the genetic testing (and had things come back normal) to tell you guys, but I figured if someone noted and commented on an irregularity in my food behaviour then I'd mention it sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil