American Day, plus Shrimp

Today I voted. So that's good, and I'm happy to live in a state where I can vote early.

In addition to voting, today I will be canning. It occurred to me that I actually had more stuff to can than just the remainder of that stew I made last night (which we are actually eating again for dinner, and I'll can the rest). I have the leftover pumpkin soup, which is ideal as an appetiser-soup more than it is as a full-meal-soup, so I'm canning the remaining quart in two pint jars (I made the very unpleasant discovery that my canner is not actually large enough to do quart jars. This is mostly disappointing because I just bought quart jars, but it's also sad because I can't spend the money on a 16-quart canner right now). I also have all that okra remaining to can (P actually did like the okra in the stew I made though he typically will only eat it fried or pickled). I intended to cook and can some beans, also, for days I don't feel like cooking them, but I think I don't really have time for that because I'd like to make more dolma today. That, and I'm supposed to start reading King Lear for my lit class.

Oh, I got 100% on my calculus test.

So, with all that stuff in mind, I leave you with a recipe I never took a picture of, because I forgot (once again). We had this the other day with the leftover vegetable casserole. Enjoy.

1/2 pound shrimp
1 1/2 tablespoons tamarind, soaked in 2 tablespoons of warm water*
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon each: wasabi powder, cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Mix together all the ingredients and marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes or so. Grill or pan fry the shrimp. Serves 2.

Note: If you get tamarind paste, it will have seeds in it. Even if it says "seedless." I'm not sure why it says seedless when it's so obviously a lie. But it always does and it never is. Anyway, to use the tamarind paste, take it and mix it up with some warm water. Then strain out any bits (seeds, seed skins, etc) and discard. Use the liquid for your cooking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil