Bergamot Semolina Cake

Well, this is interesting. Today is Friday. I thought yesterday was Friday. So you got Food Waste Friday yesterday, and today you get the recipe I wanted to post on Thursday. I'm not entirely sure why I thought yesterday was Friday, given that I fully knew I had a class to go to (and I did go). I guess I've been confused a lot lately.

What I'm not confused about, however, is this cake. It's really amazing. I think it's the best cake I've ever made. When I first started out, I thought I was going to make a Williamsburg Orange Cake we used to make a lot when I was a kid. Except, y'know, with bergamot. But then I was, once again, laying in bed and I thought about how I'd like semolina in there, and olive oil. So I started thinking about the recipe and changing it all around. I suppose it vaguely resembles the old one, in that it's a citrus cake, but that's where the similarities end. I will probably make this next time with lemon, since I'm nearly out of the bergamots (I know... it's sad. I almost didn't think it'd happen, but it's happening). Hope you enjoy!

Cake:

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/4 cup good quality olive oil
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar (you can drop this down to 1 cup if you prefer)
grated zest of one bergamot orange*

2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup semolina
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup bergamot juice
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 350F. Cream together first group of ingredients. Whisk in orange juice. Add in semolina, baking powder and salt, whisking that in. Add in milk, then once it's fully incorporated, add in the cake flour. Put in a greased 13x9" pan and bake 35 minutes. While it's cooling, make syrup. Pour the syrup on while it's still hot, and let finish cooling before cutting. Serves many.

Syrup:

juice of 1 bergamot orange
1 cup powdered sugar

Whisk together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil