Bergamot Jutlanders

This comes from page 121 of Martha Stewart's Cookie Book, where the recipe is titled Lime Meltaways. When I first made these, I rolled the dough up and the first roll was dipped into sugar, like the recipe states. But then I was eating them and I saw a Dane who's in one of my classes, and I was reminded that if the extra sugar is taken away, they're very similar to Denmark's Jutlander cookies that are eaten over Christmas. So the next roll did not get the extra sugar. I liked them both ways. Y'all will have to decide for yourselves if you like them better with more sugar or less. But here's the recipe, regardless. Hope you enjoy!

"3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
finely grated zest of 2 limes (1 bergamot for me)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (bergamot)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (I left this out entirely and replaced it with an extra tablespoon bergamot juice)
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (I doubled this)

"1. Put butter and 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add the lime zest and juice and the vanilla, and mix until fluffy.
"2. Whisk together flour, corn starch, and salt in a bowl. Add to butter mixture, and mix on low speed until just combined.
"3. Divide dough in half. Place each log on an 8 by 12-inch sheet of parchment (wax paper for me). Roll in parchment to form a log 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log. Refrigerate logs until cold and firm, at least 1 hour.
"4. Preheat oven to 350F. Remove parchment from logs; cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Space rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 13 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, toss cookies with remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
"Makes about 5 dozen."

I forgot to take a picture of this, so I encourage you all to take pictures of yours and share them with me at your earliest convenience. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil