Vanilla Apple Crepes

I don't know why I wake up so early sometimes, but I do. And this time I woke up thinking about apples. But what to do with these apples? Crepes seemed like a pleasant way to enjoy them, and to start off our day (interestingly enough, Ross generally eats something for breakfast while I sometimes forget to eat until well into the afternoon). Crepes are so easy, even though it seems like they're not. You just blend some stuff, let it sit, then cook it. No special pans, no nothing. The syrup I already had made, since I enjoy it in my coffee and in my tea (mostly tea, but whatever). So here's a simple, easy breakfast (or dessert; it's an easy dessert too) that's good for enjoying but not bad on your morning routine or time usage. Hope you enjoy!

Vanilla-Cardamom Syrup:

1/2 cup each: sugar (vanilla sugar optional), water
5 cardamom pods, smashed enough to open
1/4 vanilla bean, split and scraped

Put all ingredients in a saucepan, and simmer for 10-20 minutes. Let sit another hour, then strain. I always reserve the spent vanilla pod and toss it in a large jar of vodka so it can contribute to my continued never-ending supply of vanilla extract.

Crepes:

3/8 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (or vanilla sugar)
1 egg
pinch salt (sometimes I omit this)

Blend all the ingredients for about 10 seconds, then put the blender jar in the fridge for an hour or so. Lightly butter a hot skillet (or don't; most of the time I don't even bother oiling the crepe pan) and pour out about a quarter cup of batter. Swirl to coat the pan and let cook approximately one minute, or until the edges start to curl slightly. Flip and cook another 30-60 seconds. Makes 4-6 crepes.

Apple Filling:

2 small granny smith apples, cored and sliced thinly (you may peel them if you prefer them peeled also)
2-3 tablespoons vanilla cardamom syrup
2 tablespoons butter
pinch salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar

Heat butter over medium heat, then cook the apples with the lemon and salt until they are soft but still firm. Add the syrup (as much or as little as you like) and sugar, and cook until the apples are completely soft. Stuff in crepes. Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil