Pumpkin Bread

I think that after pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread is probably the second most thought of pumpkin recipe. I developed this recipe to be able to send a wider variety of breads to a friend of mine and SJ's after Katrina. I actually hadn't made it since then, until today. But P asked if I could make pumpkin bread, so I threw some together while I'm working on the pumpkin shells you'll see tomorrow. I figure before I toss a savoury pumpkin dish at you, I should give this one too. Enjoy!

In blender or food processor (or whatever you use), mix:

2 large eggs
scant 2/3 cup granulated sugar
brown sugar to make the granulated a full 2/3 cup (I just like a bit for flavour)
1/3 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla (alright... in reality, I use closer to a tablespoon, but if you're a normal, non-vanilla-freak, go w/ a teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon and ginger
1/8 teaspoon each: clove and nutmeg

Then mix in:

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon pumpkin mash (yum! I measure a little extra so I can eat some)

Then stir in:

1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt (try not to forget this, like I did today)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Bake in 4 mini loaf pans for 30 minutes, or one regular loaf pan for about an hour.

Comments

  1. Hello!!!
    Awesome bread! It looks like delicious! I am very curious to know how is the flavour because I never eat a pumpkin bread!

    Kisses

    Fabio Kuriyama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Fabio!! It's a somewhat delicate flavour. It's got the pumpkin taste, but the spices are mild and delicate, so it's not so overwhelming you can't taste the pumpkin anymore. The sugar isn't too much either, so it's sweet, but more in a natural way than in a sugary way.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil