Cherry Pecan Granola

Kevin from Closet Cooking made some granola recently (as an aside, if you have never seen his blog, please go there - it's absolutely lovely), and then SJ made it too. And now, in the aftermath of the hurricane, P and I have discovered our bellies are... not as small as we want them to be. So we agreed that when we get our new refrigerator delivered (Tuesday), we will start a diet together. I am in charge of the food. P is in charge of getting both of us on the Bowflex; I won't adjust it, so he has to ready it for me, for each exercise.

We lost our maple syrup in the flood, amongst a gazillion other foods. So I decided to make a cereal P would really like but which wouldn't bust his waistline further - this means cherries. I wanted to make something he could have with milk for breakfast, or something that he could take to school as a sort of trail mix. I think a larger quantity would be better to make normally, but I want to be sure P likes it before I stick him with 80 pounds of it.

So here is my rendition of Kevin's granola. All quantities are approximate, as truly I did eye-ball all of this (I mixed it on the couch/bed while P wasn't looking). The honey I used is darkly coloured, so my granola is a little darker than you might normally have.

1/8 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3-1/2 cup dried cherries (seedless are preferable here; at my store you can get either)
1 scant cup rolled oats (farewell, sweet oats; I will miss you until I get a new container)
pinch salt
1/4 cup cherry-infused honey

Preheat oven to 300F. Mix ingredients, then spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Comments

  1. I really like the sound of using dried cherries and cheery infused honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're working out really well, and P is even eating it. :)

    The honey does take on sort of a molasses-y flavour during the roasting which is really interesting. I think for the next time, I'm going to try cranberries and huckleberry-infused honey, and maybe almonds.

    I have the apricot and black walnut flavours (they're tasty) of this brand: http://shop.sdbaskets.com/index.php?product_id=83&target=products

    but I actually used this brand: http://www.huckleberrypeople.com/huckleberrypeople/Web/Fichiers/honey.asp

    Might give you some fun experimenting to have some different types of honeys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil