Roasted Marrow Bones with Lima Bean Salad

I love marrow bones. I love frying thick slices of homemade bread in a stick of butter to eat it with. I love the mouth-feel of marrow. I love the fatty goodness, and how full and satisfied I feel after I eat them. I love how well they pair with pretty much any bright food you want to eat. I love how quickly they cook. I also love how inexpensive they are. I got about a pound and a half for $2, spent about $2.40 on vegetables (we also had roasted broccoli with this), and another $0.90 cents on the loaf of bread I made and the butter to fry it in (even better, if you have stale bread it's perfect for this!). So all in all, we got an awesome meal (plus enough for Ross to take to work for lunch) for slightly more than five bucks, which I love. If you haven't tried marrow, and you're not icked by this sort of thing, I highly recommend this affordable and delicious meal (my version or anyone else's - all of them, actually. I would love to try every marrow preparation known to mankind). Hope you enjoy!

 Marrow bones:

Get your beef (or veal) marrow bones - about two per person, 2-5 inches tall. Preheat your oven to 450F, and put your bones in a baking dish, large side down if they're cut on two sides or cut side up if they're split down the middle. Sprinkle with salt (or not, as you see fit) and roast for 15-20 minutes. They should be bubbly with the marrow pulled from the sides but not melted and smell good when they're done. A bit of the fat will seep out from the bottom, and that's okay. You can mop it up with bread later or save it to cook something else in. Let cool a few minutes, then scoop out with a spoon and spread on thick slices of bread that you fried until brown in butter (or you could just use regular toast). This is good with the salad on top.

Lima Bean Salad (can be served hot, warm or cold)

1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced celery w/ leaves
1/4 cup capers, rinsed
1 chopped tomato
1 small sprig rosemary, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
12 ounces frozen (and thawed) or fresh limas
3 big glugs olive oil
juice one lemon
2-3 cups stock (I used vegetable since that's what's in my fridge, but you can use any kind)

In a deep frying pan, combine beans and broth (enough to cover beans) over medium-high heat and simmer until beans are cooked, about 15 minutes. Drain the beans and set them aside. Add a big glug or two of olive oil to the pan, and then the celery and shallot with some salt and pepper. Fry until soft, then add in the beans, lemon juice, more salt and pepper if needed, and however much oil is needed and turn the heat down to medium. Fry for another 5 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and cook another two minutes. Chill or not and serve with marrow and fried bread. Makes enough for four people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil