Spicy Green Beans and Spaghetti

We got a huge bag of green beans at the farmer's market, and rather than sitting down in front of the tv and scarfing them down, like I normally might be inclined to do (I have this problem with peas, too), I actually cooked some. Mainly because P asked me to.

I've been really into the farmer's market lately, you might've noticed. I find the food is better, and ultimately cheaper in most cases (8 billion eggplants for 4 monies, as an example).

Anyway, I just wanted to kind of lightly cook these with a minimum of added flavours. A little heat sounded good to P and I, but I was asked not to make it searingly hot like that one time with the shrimp. I agree, since I thought my lips were going to fall off when we had those shrimp. This was nice - just a hint of spice, not quite so little you forget it's there but also not enough that you feel like you have to keep eating to be safe. I hope you enjoy!

1 tablespoon each: sesame oil, vegetable oil
2 pinches chile flakes (red pepper flakes)
2 large cloves of garlic, roughly minced
1/2 pound dry beans
1 tablespoon cane vinegar (or rice vinegar; I'm just trying to use up all the cane vinegar so I can open the ume plum vinegar which I love enough to drink alone)
1 teaspoon dried mint, rubbed between the palms (optional)
pinch powdered galangal (sub: powdered ginger)
4 ounces spaghetti, cooked to package directions and drained

Put the chile flakes and oils in a pan. Infuse over low heat for 15 minutes. Turn up the heat to medium and add in the garlic. Fry the garlic lightly, then add the beans, vinegar, mint and galangal. Continue to fry until the beans are cooked through but still have a good crunch to them. Toss in pasta and fry together for one more minute. Serves 2.

Comments

  1. This looks good - I'd totally have to try this!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil