Red Rice and Andouille

Well, I've almost made it through the leftovers. Accurately speaking, I've made it through all the cooked leftovers (except a little baked chicken which I froze, since I was really tired of eating it). I remembered there was a little red rice left in the pantry; only enough for one person, really. There was also the last half of the andouille, and the remaining giant leek. So I figured I should get to work on them. It was kind of sad trying to figure out portions for only me, but I managed it. Aleister wanted some, but he was told no. So here it is:

1/3 cup bhutanese red rice
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt

Combine the ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 14 minutes, then let sit, covered, at least 10 minutes. While that's going on, do the following:

1 1/2 cups sliced and cleaned leeks
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
3 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
salt to taste
4 ounces andouille, sliced

In a small nonstick pan, combine leek, garlic, carrot, lemon juice, orange blossom water, salt and 2 tablespoons of the vegetable broth. Cook over medium-low heat until the liquid is gone and the pan is a little sticky, maybe ten minutes (I was doing homework so I'm not sure, since I measure "time" by the smell of the food). Deglaze with the remaining vegetable broth and scrape all the sticky stuff back onto the food, add the andouille and lower the heat to low. Cook 5 more minutes (I set the timer for that part so I know it's true). Serves 1.

As an aside, P is doing ok in Brazil. There've been some ups and downs, but he's getting through it and trying to enjoy his trip. He gets on IM when he has internet service, so I've gotten to talk to him almost daily. I'm sleeping on the couch now, since it appears I need to acclimate to being on my own again before I can sleep easily in the bed. I guess this is probably how it was for him when I worked out of town 5 days a week and was basically only home a day and a half each week.

My classes are going well, and I feel a lot less bogged down than I did last summer session. My brain is kind of done, so I'm having to review the same material over, and over, and over, and over, but I'm guessing it'll integrate soon enough. I'm at two different campuses this time, so happily my history prof is being cool about me leaving a half hour before the class is over so I can get to the other campus on time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil