Rice Noodle Lo Mein

I still have a fair amount of the rice vermicelli in the house, that mostly I've always used when I want to make spring rolls. But I've been trying to use them in a less work-intensive way, eliminating the need for rolling things. Because right now, I have no time for time consuming foods. Not until after spring break, anyway, when I should be far enough ahead that I have time to sit, to think, and even to sleep sometimes. It'll be exciting. Anyway, this is a pretty easy recipe. I actually cooked the noodles before I went to school, then did the rest when I came home and that's a perfectly fine way to do it although it's not particularly necessary. Hope you enjoy!

1 package rice noodles
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon vinegar (I used osmanthus, you could use whatever you want but rice vinegar is probably the best in terms of flavour profile)

1/2 large red onion, or one regular sized red onion, sliced into half moons
1 carrot, sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
3 tablespooons sesame oil
1 tablespoon each: sriracha (or other hot sauce), tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste

1 can white beans (or 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked)
salt

1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/4 cup rice wine

Boil a lot of salted water, then add noodles. Cook 3-8 minutes, or until done (each type has a different cooking time, so follow the package directions if you're not used to the ones you have). Drain and rinse with cold water, then return to pot and toss with oil and vinegar. Set aside.

Heat a large frying pan and add the sesame oil, sriracha and tomato paste. When hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the veggies are well softened, then add the beans and a bit more salt. Fry these up for a few minutes, then add the noodles, fish sauce and rice wine and cook until it's done to your liking. Serve with soy sauce, fish sauce, sriracha, or whatever other sauces you like here. Serves 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil