Queso

I mentioned yesterday that this was a really pedestrian version of Magnolia's Mud. That's pretty much true. I went the super lazy route, not bothering to buy a tomato to make a proper pico, using the last of the pickled jalepenos instead of ponying up the 5 cents for a fresh one, and using entirely less cheese than one probably should use. I also didn't add the fresh items (avocado excepted) to the mix after it was cooked - I just dumped everything into the saucepan at once and let it figure itself out. I was really hungry, what can I say? Though on the cheese front, I actually used less because I like my queso a lot more tomatoey than most people do. Given I'm the only one eating it (with pita chips!), I figured I should just do whatever I want. So, I'll put the normal person way in parentheses below. I ate this as a meal (okay, 2 meals), but mostly it'd be served as an appetizer to feed more people. Hope you enjoy!

1/2 pound Velveeta or similar (1 pound)
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes (I leave the juices in but I think a normal person wouldn't)
1 cup cooked and drained black beans
1/8 cup pickled jalepenos (1 fresh, sliced thinly)
1/8 red onion, diced (use pico here in place of the onion and pepper)
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup canned black olives, sliced (I don't think this is really supposed to be in there but I like olives so I don't care)
1 avocado, sliced or diced

My way: Put everything but the avocado in a saucepan and turn it to low heat. Let it cook until the cheese is melted, stirring periodically. Add avocado and eat with chips. Serves 1.

The right way: Combine cheese and drained tomatoes in a saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring frequently. When melted, stir in beans (or you can put them on the bottom of the serving vessel then top with the queso and let your eaters stir it in themselves) and jalepenos (and olives if you're using), then heat through. Top with pico de gallo and avocado, then serve with chips. Serves 4.

This, by the way, is another one of those recipes that looks utterly disgusting but tastes awesome.

Comments

  1. Looks yum to me. There's something about velveeta that's just so trashy, I love it. Like plastic lawn flamingos. And it tastes good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally Velveeta and similar "cheeses" ick me out, but they really are the perfect thing to use for queso. But I'm on board w/ the lawn flamingos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO comforting and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil