Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Shrimp with Chunky Tomato Sauce

I've been on a meat thing lately. It's kind of weird, because I usually only eat meat once or twice a week. But the last week or two I've wanted meat every single day. Not much, but some. I must need extra protein or something; perhaps all the extra walking now that school is back in session? Either way, today was shrimp day. I really enjoyed this dish, since it was colourful, simple and very fast to prepare (necessary when you're drowning in homework). As an aside, I tasted this sauce before I added the shrimp and it was awesome. So this would be good for vegetarians/vegans as well. Hope you enjoy!

1 tablespoon each: olive oil, lemon juice
1 cup each: diced red onion, sliced celery
1 teaspoon salt
1 can diced tomatoes with juices
pinch sugar
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup water or broth (I used beef broth since it's in the fridge and needs to be used)
6-8 ounces frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp

Heat a pan over medium-high and add oil, lemon juice, red onion, celery and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add tomatoes, sugar, frozen corn, red pepper flakes, basil and water/broth. Let simmer 15-30 minutes. Add shrimp and continue to simmer until shrimp is cooked through. Serve with rice. Serves 2.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, ur blog is really nice & informative, while reading ur blog I truly like ur recipe & definitely try at my home. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a site which is offering very unique features at affordable prices there are expert advertising team who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks which will definitely boost ur traffic. Finally I have bookmarked ur blog & also shared this blog to my friends.. i think my friend might too like it hope u have a wonderful day & !!happy blogging!!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric,

    Thank you for your compliments both regarding my blog and the specific recipes. While I appreciate your offer to direct me to an advertising site, I like to keep my site completely free of advertising. I feel that accepting money in return for product endorsement diminishes the authenticity of any recommendations I may make of a product that comes straight from my experiences with the product. For that reason, I do not and never will accept advertising on my site. But again, I'm glad you're enjoying my blog and thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete