Baked Salmon

I can't remember the last time I ate cooked salmon before tonight. I remembered liking it, but I just never seen to encounter salmon once it's been cooked. Raw? All the time. Just not cooked. Recently P has put himself on a diet. I'm not entirely clear on what the diet is, except that it involves reduced quantities of food, a meal being defined as "healthy" based on caloric content and increased exercise. I haven't asked for the specifics, since I'm personally happy to continue along the way w/o regard for dietary specifics. I've noticed, though, that in his efforts to become healthier he's been drawn to cuisines and foods that are associated more heavily with increased longevity and heart health. This works for me, since I personally am a fan of most of those foods and cuisines. So both of us are happy on his new diet - him because he can eat well and lose weight, and me because I still get to eat everything I like.

Anyway, I've digressed once again. Last night we went to the store to pick up some fruits and such (plus, I wanted some soup since I wasn't feeling well) when we happened across some beautiful salmon. P wanted to get it, so we agreed to have it for tonight's dinner. I really prefer cooked salmon to be very simply made so it can just speak for itself. This is a baked version. Hope you enjoy!

1 pound salmon (about 1" thick)
1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven to 350F. Slice lemon thinly and layer half the lemon slices on a large piece of foil. Put the salmon on top of the lemon, skin-side down, then top with a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Top with remaining half of lemon slices and seal the foil so it's like a pouch. Put the pouch in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let rest in pouch for about 5 minutes before opening, then open and cut salmon in half. Serves 2.

NOTE: If you're interested in having a sauce for the salmon, take the juices and lemon slices from the pouch and reduce them with a splash of wine or broth and perhaps some dill or whatever spice you like until somewhat thickened. Then turn off the heat, remove slices and stir in a pat of butter to thicken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil