Carmelized Maple Pumpkin

I finally got around to cutting open one of the pumpkins that's hanging out in the pantry. Since then, we've enjoyed the seeds, and I made a batch of pumpkin butter to can. Yum. I still had half the pumpkin left after roasting, though, so I thought it might be good as a sweet addition to an overly savoury meal (sausage and kraut). Normally I might have mashed the pumpkin and then roasted it a second time with butter and sweetener, but I really just wanted cubes this time. Hope you enjoy!

1/2 sugar pumpkin, roasted then shelled and cut into cubes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch each: nutmeg, ginger, salt
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Melt butter and sugar together with spices in a medium skillet. Add pumpkin and cook lightly, evenly coating the pumpkin with the butter mixture. Let cook long enough that the butter mixture becomes sticky and caramelized on the pumpkin. Drizzle on maple syrup and cook another minute. Serves 2.

Comments

  1. Mmmm, yum. I've got winter squash (pumpkins, butternut squash, acorn squash) coming out of my ears already and this sounds like a great way to deal with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on that one. I've got 6 or 7 more winter squash lurking about, but I think this is how several of them will be dealt with. I really loved the carmelized sugar taste on them.. a little too much perhaps. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil