Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Purim Steak

I don't use my own recipe for hamantashen, and I'm sure you've all been bombarded with recipes for them the last few days. So today, I post the Purim dinner we had. Steak and roasted vegetables. We got a big porterhouse to share, but I think this would work fine with individually portioned steaks as well. I totally forgot to take pictures of the steak until I'd cut it up for us, but you'll get the idea. Hope you enjoy!

Steak/Steak Marinade:

1-2 tablespoons each: tahini, pomegranate molasses
1-2 teaspoons each: marjoram, sumac, aleppo pepper, salt
1/2 teaspoon each: ground galangal (or ginger), garlic powder
1/4 cup each: lemon juice, olive oil

Whisk together the ingredients. Put marinade and steak in bowl or plastic bag and marinate for a couple hours. Turn once per hour. Grill steak. Serves 2.



Roasted Vegetables

2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
8 new potatoes, cut into quarters (or eighths if larger)
1 small white onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (4-6 cloves)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2-3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1/8 cup each: lemon juice, vegetable oil
1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley

Heat oven to 400F. Roast 40 minutes or until done. Serves 2.

7 comments:

  1. Allie, your dinner looks delicious. Hope the company was as good as the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I enjoyed it thoroughly. Was a much needed reprieve (for an hour, anyway) from my homework! All this homework is keeping me from doing anything fun, over all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Purim!! :-) Your Purim feast sounds incredible - I love the idea of marinading the steak in tahini! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Purim to you too, Astra! Your feast looked delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very unique marinade, Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the congratulations!! :-) I want to work in the ICU eventually, so an urgent care/ER setting would be awesome experience right now... Cross your fingers for me as I apply for jobs! :-)

    I keep meaning to ask you, 'cause I know you're a fellow student - what are you studying?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mayanne,

    Thanks! Unique is exactly what I was shooting for that evening. :)

    Astra,

    Fingers crossed! I'm studying math. Crazy major, I knwo.

    ReplyDelete