Grapefruit Pie

I've been pretty consumed with these simple pastas lately. Today I put a little chicken in one (it was penne today) and added a little orange juice and milk, but they're all essentially the same. Mainly I like them because it takes me about 15 minutes to throw dinner together.

Which means today, I give you something from my archives. Not my archives here. Just from my piles and piles and piles of recipes I've written over the years that I never gave you, because I haven't even been actively maintaining this blog for a year, despite it existing before that. Today is grapefruit pie. I will give you my way of making it and the lazy way (buy the strawberry glaze; that's the lazy way).

I found out about this pie a few years ago. Apparently there's a place in a little border town in Texas that serves it (don't ask me where, since I can't remember the name of the restaurant and I never have actually been to it), so I was told about the pie and I made my own version of it. A more accurate replica would be to buy the glaze instead of make it, but sometimes I just like to make stuff. This glaze is darker and I don't think it's quite as cloyingly sweet (though in fairness, sometimes I really love that artificial, diner-tasting glaze). So you might prefer the traditional glaze, and if so, make the pie that way. But regardless of what strawberry glaze you use, make the pie. It's really yummy.

Crust for 1 9-inch pie (without a top crust; I have stopped making my own crust because I am lazy and I don't see a significant enough difference in flavour to warrant making it myself these days)
2 24-ounce bottles of grapefruit sections in juice (not syrup) - I use Del Monte (or you can do it right and section your own grapefruit, which as previously stated, I'm too lazy to do)
strawberry glaze
whipped creme (ironically, the glaze and creme I make myself, despite laziness)

Bake pie shell. Allow to cool fully, then layer in the grapefruit sections (well drained, w/ juices reserved). Top with glaze, let it set and get cold. Then eat with loads of freshly whipped creme. Serves 1-8 people, depending on how much you like it.

Strawberry Glaze:

3 pounds strawberries, cut up
1 cup corn syrup
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cognac vinegar (or either red wine or cider vinegar)

4 tablespoons arrow root (or cornstarch)
4 tablespoons water

In medium saucepan, combine first group of ingredients and simmer for 1½ hours. Strain, then simmer another 1½ hours and strain again. Return liquid to a clean saucepan. Combine water and arrow root, then add to saucepan. Bring to a hard boil and continue to boil for three minutes, stirring constantly, then reduce heat and simmer until liquid is very thick and syrupy. Yields approximately 3 cups

Variation: Add liquid from 2 – 24 oz bottles grapefruit sections in juice (recommend: Del Monte) in place of water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil