Beet and Preserved Lemon Pasta

I was actually planning to post the bacon fried rice we had for breakfast the other day, but I suspect you all might need a break from the large amounts of meat I've been putting out there, as I do. So instead, you get tonight's dinner instead.

I've really been wanting to use the preserved lemons I made before P went to Brazil (this recipe is very similar to my preparation method), and had originally intended to just make a couscous with the lemons, using all the veggies as a side, but P wanted a larger type of pasta. So this is what we had instead. The lemons were really delicious, particularly with the beets and the roasted garlic. I hope you enjoy this (and soon, I'll give you the bacon fried rice too).

2 beets, peeled and cut into sticks
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup potato, diced (skin left on)
2 celery stalks, cut into 2-3" pieces, leaves included
10 large garlic cloves, left whole
1 tablespoon each: vegetable oil, olive oil, citrus vinegar
salt and pepper to taste (go light on the salt, because of the lemons)

1/2 pound campanelle (or the pasta you like)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
1 sliced scallion
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup diced preserved lemon peels

Heat oven to 400F. Combine first set of ingredients and roast for ~30 minutes, or until potatoes and beets are soft and garlic is creamy. Bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and put butter, oil and remaining ingredients in the pot. Stir until butter is melted, then add roasted vegetables and return pasta to pot. Mix well and serve. Serves 2.

This isn't the finest example of my food pictures, but it gives you the general idea:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil