Tomato-Basil Soup - No Croutons Required

I got this craving for La Madeleine's Tomato-Basil soup yesterday, but I have a hard time rationalising spending 5 bucks on soup when I know I can make the same amount for under a money. Additionally, this month's theme for No Croutons Required is to exemplify an herb in a soup or salad, so I thought this would be a nice fit.

Mine tasted a little different from theirs, but was still quite good. It was easy to make, inexpensive and tasty, so I'll definitely be making it again. Here you go:

2 garlic cloves, minced (I like a lot of garlic, as you may've noticed)
1 small onion, diced (yields 1/2-3/4 cup onion)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup veggie broth
pinch of sugar

1 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn up
1/4 cup milk or cream

In a small saucepan, sweat the onions and garlic in oil, salt and pepper until the onions are transluscent. Add the tomatoes, broth and sugar, and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add in the basil and cook another 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. Return to saucepan, add cream and cook another 5 minutes. Serves 1.

Comments

  1. Simple, but delicious and great comfort food! Thanks for submitting it Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Holler! I'm happy to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup is gorgeous! I was completely psyched about the recipe as soon as I read the part about "lots of garlic..." Lots of garlic = perfection! I can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, Astra. I hope you enjoy it!

    I am seriously addicted to garlic. I use it in almost everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil