Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Stewed Red Beans with Ham

I'm still sick, but I ate all my soup. So I made this instead. It'd have been a lot lazier of a meal if I'd simply used canned beans. But instead I used dried. You use canned. Anyway, it's got meat in it and lots more nutrition, plus a bit of heat to help me sweat out whatever's ailing me. Hope you enjoy!

2 cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or 1/2 pound dried and cooked)
1 can corn, juices included
1 can stewed tomatoes, juices included, but tomatoes mashed up a touch with your spoon
1/4 - 1/2 pound diced ham
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dried cilantro (or a tablespoon fresh)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all in a pot and stew for an hour. Serve over rice or pasta, if you like. Serves 4.

Still don't know where my camera is. Sorry guys.

2 comments:

  1. Feel better Allie! At least your food is looking tasty! Whenever I'm sick, it's usually a lot of effort to even get up and grab a bag of cheerios or something to bring to bed with me. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dea-chan! I think if it was requiring more effort from me than "plop these things in a pot and come back when it's done," I'd have just ordered pizza or some other kind of take-out.

    ReplyDelete