Ranger Cookies (i.e., Fibre Cookies)

Astra at Food for Laughter reminded me of these cookies when she posted some very similar ones. My mother used to make these a lot for us (maybe she still makes them, I'm not sure because I've heard nothing about them recently) and we would just eat them up. They're pretty healthy and they taste delicious. They're also chock full of fibre, which is good since most of us don't get enough anyway. The only real change I've made to these cookies is that I put 3/4 cup dried fruits in them. I am somewhat consumed by dried fruits and P and I eat exorbitant quantities of them. Sometimes I put cherries, sometimes dates, sometimes apricots, or currants, or craisins, or raisins, or dried figs, or even dried mulberry. You really never know what fruit will be in there when I make them, and often I put more than one. They're delicious though, with or without the fruit. Hope you enjoy them!

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup hard-packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup bran
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 1/2 cup crushed shredded wheat OR 1 cup any wheat flake cereal
3/4 cup dried fruit (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together shortening, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, oats, bran, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix into creamed mixture. Stir in coconut, shredded wheat and dried fruit (if you use it). Drop by rounded teaspoon (and flatten out a bit) onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Variations: this is also nice w/ a sprinkle of ginger and/or cinnamon in the dough. The cookie dough is also yummy raw. And they're about 100 calories a cookie.

(No picture today)

Comments

  1. Nope. I'm not 100% sure where the card to my camera is right now, so I'll take some after I figure out where it is and edit the post. :)

    Same w/ the new batch of caramels (which I made correctly, and ironically don't like as much as the mistake ones). No pictures until I find the card.

    :)

    Make them, though. They're low calorie and high fibre. Perfect for the diet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil