Italian Sausage Ragout

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with ragout. In my mind, it's not that good but it is easy to make when I feel pressed for energy to devote to cooking. In reality, I love eating ragout because it's good. Really good. This one I particularly enjoyed. I will try to remember I like things like this so I can make them more often. Hope you enjoy!

1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed (or even better, without them at all)
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
6 cloves garlic, chopped

1 8-ounce can mushrooms
1 15-ounce can each: crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes (cut up a bit)
2 cups veggie stock
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon chile flakes
1 small sprig rosemary, left whole
3 sprigs basil (I used Thai since it's growing profusely and the Genevese isn't yet), torn into pieces

Over medium heat, fry sausage in a large saucepan. Add remainder of first group of ingredients when the sausage is nearly cooked, and fry for 5-10 minutes. Add second group of ingredients and simmer until thicker, about an hour (though I cooked it longer for the flavors). Serve over pasta. Serves 4-6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil