Lemon and Thai Basil Yogurt Cake

I have some lemons and yogurt I need to use, and I also am growing some Thai basil. I have a tendency to sometimes neglect the proper pruning needs of my plants, so I've been trying to be better about that lately. This cake came of my desire to use these two ingredients, but also of my desire to have a dessert that would pair well with minestrone and brown bread for dinner. Hope you enjoy!

Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
zest of a lemon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 sprigs Thai basil

Glaze:
1-2 cups confectioners’ sugar
juice of a small lemon

Combine the lemon juice, sugar and basil in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for a minute or so and remove from the heat. Let cool. Preheat oven to 350F. Whisk together eggs, zest, yogurt, strained basil syrup, vanilla and salt. Then whisk in baking powder, then flour. Fold in oil. Put in a greased and lined (I use a coffee filter to line my pan) loaf pan. Bake 60-ish minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan, invert onto a cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Pour glaze over the cake, let it set and serve. Makes 12 slices.

Glaze:

Whisk sugar into lemon juice. Add the sugar slowly until it is the consistency of glaze (stiffness) you want. I like mine to set pretty firmly, almost like Royal icing, so I use a lot of sugar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil