Simple Chicken Soup

I've been sick the last few days, with some awesome combination viral and bacterial upper respiratory infection. So, while I didn't particularly wish to cook today, I figured I would toss together a quick chicken soup for dinner while I strained some more yogurt. This went in the crock pot, since I figured I ought not miss three days of school in a row and I wanted it to be ready for when we got home. It was, again, very simple, but quite satisfying to both of us. If you're looking for more pizazz, you can easily modify this by adding other veggies or spices. Hope you enjoy!

2 large chicken thighs, deboned and skinned*, then cut into bite sized pieces
1 large carrot, sliced thickly
1 large celery stalk, sliced thickly
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 litre vegetable broth
1 handful wheat berries
salt to taste
1 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, smashed a little with your spoon or ladle
most of that 14-ounce can of water

Combine all in a small crock pot and let simmer on high for 5 hours (or low for the same amount of time or longer). Alternately, you could simmer this in a pot for an hour over medium or medium-high heat. Makes about 4 bowls full, so 2-4 servings.

* I stuck the bones in a bag to make chicken stock with later. I also cooked the skins over low heat in a skillet under all the fat had rendered down (and turned into schmaltz). I then stored the fat in the fridge and ate the crispy skins with the soup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil