Mediterranean Chopped Salad - No Croutons Required



We have an overwhelming amount of produce in the fridge right now (oh, the joys of a new Costco membership), and since I'm really trying to eliminate food waste, I thought I'd put together a lot of the produce that's left to make a salad we can munch on while studying (which really, I need to get to soon). This is, as an aside, awesome with leftover pizza. It worked out well that I had this going on at the same time as the No Croutons Required challenge was specifically for a Mediterranean soup or salad. So, here's my submission. Hope you enjoy!

2 English cucumbers, sliced into half moons
1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half (you can use red if you like)
3/4 cup celery, sliced paper thin
1/4 large red onion, sliced paper thin
1 1/5 cup snap peas, cut into 1" pieces
1/4 - 1/2 pound feta, crumbled (I had 1/4 lb, but I wish I'd had a half)
1 cup kalamata olives, which you can pit if you feel like it (I didn't)

Dressing:

juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon each: pomegranate molasses, honey, oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 cup good quality olive oil (I just drizzled until it was how I wanted it)

Fold together vegetables, feta and olives. Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, honey, oregano, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking until it reaches the desired consistency. Fold into the salad. Chill before serving. Makes.. a lot.

Comments

  1. The colors in your salad are gorgeous. You do such a good job with ingredients you just happen to have on hand. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you combined oregano and pom molasses in the dressing! Gorgeous! Such a beautiful, healthful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    Thanks so much! Necessity breeds creativity, perhaps.

    Astra,

    Thanks - I am so addicted to the pom molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always looking for a good salad. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food Hunter,

    I hope you enjoy the salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect timing! Salads like these are a great way to use up veggies and are also good brain food. happy studying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Joanne! Now, if I can just get through the 3 exams I have this week, I'll finally have time to cook again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil