Grated Beet and Anise Slaw

It feels like it's been forever since I've posted. I've been insanely busy, mostly with physics, though my other homework has been fitting in somehow. I have never had so much homework in my life before. As a result, I've been living off quick foods and take-out. Finally tonight I had a chance to cook.

We bought a good amount of produce before P went camping for Labour Day. I saved most of it for when he got home so we could enjoy it together (plus, when he's gone I seem to live on matzot brei, scones, salads, makdous and hummus). He came home with some steaks, so I figured I'd make those, plus some of that parmesan crusted eggplant. However, I wanted to have a beet and fennel salad. Normally I roast my beets before doing anything with them, but I really do enjoy them raw as well (turns out Francis also likes raw beets), so I thought I'd just make a slaw out of them. Hope you enjoy!

1 large beet, peeled and grated
1 anise/fennel bulb, grated then pressed between the hands to eliminate excess moisture

1/8 cup sherry vinegar
large pinch salt
pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dijon or stone ground mustard
1/4 cup olive oil

Fold together the beets and fennel. Whisk together the dressing's ingredients, then fold into the vegetable mixture. Chill until cold. Serve. Makes about 3 cups.

Comments

  1. Oooh, such a gorgeous, posh slaw!

    Oh my, Physics - very intense! You go girl!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous slaw! I love the simplicity of your recipe and will be trying this real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astra,

    Thanks! It's been a wonderful snack in addition to having been a great side with the steak!

    The physics is really, really going to be the death of me. I have one of those professors who thinks (and said) you should take all easy classes to go w/ his. Gaa!

    Mary,

    Thanks! It was really, really easy to make, too. I've enjoyed it, and it's even better the next day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil