Monday, September 07, 2009

Grated Beet and Anise Slaw

It feels like it's been forever since I've posted. I've been insanely busy, mostly with physics, though my other homework has been fitting in somehow. I have never had so much homework in my life before. As a result, I've been living off quick foods and take-out. Finally tonight I had a chance to cook.

We bought a good amount of produce before P went camping for Labour Day. I saved most of it for when he got home so we could enjoy it together (plus, when he's gone I seem to live on matzot brei, scones, salads, makdous and hummus). He came home with some steaks, so I figured I'd make those, plus some of that parmesan crusted eggplant. However, I wanted to have a beet and fennel salad. Normally I roast my beets before doing anything with them, but I really do enjoy them raw as well (turns out Francis also likes raw beets), so I thought I'd just make a slaw out of them. Hope you enjoy!

1 large beet, peeled and grated
1 anise/fennel bulb, grated then pressed between the hands to eliminate excess moisture

1/8 cup sherry vinegar
large pinch salt
pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dijon or stone ground mustard
1/4 cup olive oil

Fold together the beets and fennel. Whisk together the dressing's ingredients, then fold into the vegetable mixture. Chill until cold. Serve. Makes about 3 cups.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, such a gorgeous, posh slaw!

    Oh my, Physics - very intense! You go girl!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous slaw! I love the simplicity of your recipe and will be trying this real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astra,

    Thanks! It's been a wonderful snack in addition to having been a great side with the steak!

    The physics is really, really going to be the death of me. I have one of those professors who thinks (and said) you should take all easy classes to go w/ his. Gaa!

    Mary,

    Thanks! It was really, really easy to make, too. I've enjoyed it, and it's even better the next day.

    ReplyDelete