Spelt and Black Bean Salad

I wanted to have a nutritionally dense salad to eat with my makdous and olives while I study over the weekend. With the semester wrapping up next week, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Hope you enjoy!

1 cup spelt
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon orange blossom water (you can use rose water, but I prefer orange)
1 small dried chile arbol
water

1 can black beans (drained and rinsed; or 1 1/2 - 2 cups home cooked beans)
1 can artichoke hearts, roughly chopped if you feel like it
1 1/2 cups celery, including leaves
3 thinly sliced carrots

Dressing:

2 teaspoons each: double strength tomato paste, pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon za'atar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup each: lemon juice, olive oil

Combine first group of ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for about an hour, or until wheat is soft but still has some tooth to it. Drain well, then fold into second group of ingredients. Whisk together ingredients for the dressing, then fold into the salad. Makes about 7 or 8 cups of salad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil