Fried Cabbage

I made this the other day for breakfast, because there was a quarter cabbage sitting in the fridge looking like it needed to be eaten, a bit of jarred garlic in the fridge when I wanted the jar to go away, and because I still have half a jar of those olives that I sincerely do need to eat up. Plus, I sometimes eat like a toddler. Anyway, this was delicious, I enjoyed it, and I will be making it again this weekend. Scale the quantities directly to feed more than 1 person with this recipe. Hope you enjoy!

1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cabbage, core removed, then cut up (I like slivers, but you could do cubes or whatever)
1 minced garlic clove (jarred is fine)
salt and pepper to taste
pinch nigella or caraway seeds
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice (can use zest instead; can use bottled juice)
3 jalapeno-stuffed olives, chopped (optional; you might want hot sauce if not, though; I rinsed mine because they're old)

Melt butter in pan. Add cabbage, salt, and pepper. Fry until tips of cabbage start to shrivel and/or brown. Add garlic and nigella seeds, and fry another minute. Add in broth, lemon, and olives, and simmer until the bottom of the pan is dry, stirring occasionally (should take about 10-15 minutes or so). Nom.

ETA: You can keep cooking it after everything is absorbed to crisp it up a bit, if you prefer your cabbage that way. I prefer mine that way. Also, you can swap out the olives for a handful of slivered almonds and/or dried cranberries. Things like that to customize it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil