Stewed Eggplant and Appaloosa Beans

I have really been on an eggplant kick lately, but today I wanted to have some beans also. Hope you enjoy!

1 globe eggplant, cut into 1" dice
1-ish teaspoon kosher salt
5 coffee filters
vegetable oil spray

1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 diced carrot
1 diced stalk celery
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed

1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups appaloosa beans
1/3 cup water

1 cup white rice
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups water

Arrange coffee filters on a plate and spray lightly with oil spray. Toss salt and eggplant then spread onto plate. Microwave 10 minutes. Set aside

Combine oil, onion and pomegranate molasses in a saucepan. Cook over low-ish heat until onions are soft (10-15 minutes). Add lime juice, garlic, carrot, celery and coriander, then cook until carrot and celery are soft. Add in crushed tomatoes, beans, eggplant and water, then simmer for 15 minutes while you make the rice.

Combine rice, tumeric, salt and water, then bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, then let rest 10 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Comments

  1. I had to look uo appaloosa beans. I'd never heard or seen them. The stew sounds wonderful. What other type of bean could replace the appaloosas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    I really love appaloosa beans, but they're so expensive I only ever buy them when I see them on sale in the bulk section. You could use pintos or black beans as a substitute, and it'd work just fine. I've seen some people say black eyed peas are a good replacement as well. Really, I think any bean you like a lot would be just fine. The stew was really lovely, though next time I think I'll double the pomegranate molasses to get a stronger flavour from it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil