Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Cherry Oatmeal

Astra at Food for Laughter made a post recently about almond milk oatmeal, that became of sudden interest to me when I had a lot of leftover almond milk from making the flan over Passover. I've never really been a fan of oatmeal, for purely textural reasons, but I've been hearing lately that using steel cut oats is a a good alternative for people who don't like the texture of regular oatmeal. I figured it was worth a shot, since I'd really like to enjoy oatmeal (primarily since it keeps you full through a long day, and doesn't cost much). The people who talked about the steel cut were right - it was delicious! I will spare you all the photo, since we all know oatmeal really just looks like vomit. Enjoy!

3 cups almond milk (or water or regular milk)
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup brown sugar

Bring the milk to a boil, then add in oats, cherries, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine, and cook according to package directions (my package said to cook 25-30 minutes, but I found it was actually closer to 45), stirring occasionally. When the oatmeal is close to done, add in the brown sugar and vanilla. Cook until done. Serves 2.

2 comments:

  1. Bridget Klest4:19 am

    My friends and I really liked this article. It was very descriptive and worked out just like you said. Have you been to Wacanai.com(http://www.wacanai.com/intro). They have a bunch of articles on there. You can link your webpage to it so it drives traffic to your website to. They also give you a list of articles that have something in common with yours so you can get some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bridget! I'm glad you guys enjoyed the oatmeal so much! I haven't been to that site before, but I'll definitely check it out - thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete